Wednesday 30 January 2008

Personal Reflection of this project

My aims for the project were to, obviously, fulfill the brief and generally complete something I was proud of. I also planned to improve my editing skills and my filming skills. This is because during my last project, I was ill during editing and so I was not very confident on the variety of skills and effects that could be used. I understood basic editing, but it was the more creative elements in which I felt unsure.

During the project I didn't have much opportunity in improving my filming skills as I was in the majority of shots, however to combat this, we decided as a group that I would film the shots I wasn't in, in order to make it fair and I also feel that I played quite a large role in the setting up of shots, deciding the framing etc.

I do feel that I definitely improved my editing skills by a vast amount. I now feel much more capable and understand how to create overlay titles, the range of transitions available and also to be able to fix the colour/saturation/contrast etc of the shot itself.

Also on previous projects I have used Paint Shop Pro to create covers etc, and this time we decided to use Adobe Premier, which was quite difficult, but I enjoy learning how to use a new program.

Previous to this project I knew extremely little about thriller as a genre, because they were not the type of film that I tended to watch. So I started from scratch in terms of knowledge, but now I have an enjoyment of the genre and also appreciate the very intricate structure of the films to keep the audience in suspense and continually surprise them.

As a group I feel we were extremely well matched, with no arguements and any disagreements over editing or the path for which the project should follow was decided in a calm manner with everybody compromising for the sake of letting the project run smoothly.

The only criticism I have is that our timetables were different, so it was quite hard to work as a group due to the timing of our free time, however we managed regular meetings and also discussed progress and ideas on the blog and via e-mail in order to keep communication at a paramount level.

Overall I feel as though I have improved vastly in my technical ability and I also have a much greater understanding of programs which were unknown to me before. I've learnt to compromise a lot more and I think I helped to encourage the shyer members to voice their opinions too. I would have to say the project has been a success.

No comments: